Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) is one of the Compute Services of Amazon Web Service. It is a web service that provides users with the resources to run applications by renting virtual computers. It provides resizable compute capacity in the cloud.
Why use Amazon EC2?
- Pay-as-you go service, no capital expenditure. Server as low as $0.02 per hour
- Easy to obtain and setup server instances within minutes
- Scaling up or down can be done quickly
[Tweet "Operating system, database and software applications supported by Amazon Ec2"]
What does Amazon Ec2 support?
The following image depicts the operating system, database and software applications supported by Amazon Ec2:
The following are the significant features of EC2:
1. Elastic: Instant increase or decrease of instances. Scaling up or down based on the application's needs is feasible because of the use of web service APIs
2. Control: Complete control over instances is possible. Root access to each instance and controlling instances remotely to start and stop instances.
3. Flexible: Supports a wide variety of operating systems, databases and software applications. Flexible selection and configuration of components based on user needs is feasible.
4. Reliable: Amazon EC2 Service Level Agreement commitment is 99.95% availability for each Amazon EC2 Region. Instances can be replaced quickly and predictably.
5. Secure: Provides security with the help of Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC)