This week the annual RSA conference kicks off in San Francisco. The theme of this year’s Conference is “Better” with the intention of sparking discussion among enterprises about what it means to get better when it comes to security. The RSAC Advisory Board has identified a few key challenges facing cybersecurity, the top two of which are DevSecOps and Cloud Security. What lessons can be learned from these two areas of practice to help improve security across the organization will be a leading area of discussion that we look forward to this week.In our experience, Security by Design is a key component of a successful security approach. To stay up-to-date on cloud security and DevSecOps news, tips and case studies, subscribe to our blog here:
- Atlassian has announced Bitbucket Pipes which the company says are designed to make it easier for developers to build powerful, automated CI/CD workflows in a plug and play fashion without the hassle of managing integrations.
- Rancher has announced a new open source project, k3s. Described as a lightweight, easy to install Kubernetes distribution geared towards resource-constrained environments and low touch operations, k3s really shines in edge, ARM, IoT, and CI use cases.
- HashiCorp invited the community to try the first Terraform 0.12 Beta release which includes Terraform language improvements and a tool for automatically upgrading most aspects of existing configurations to work with 0.12.
- Red Hat launched OperatorHub.io. Designed to be the public registry for finding Kubernetes Operator backed services, according to Red Hat, the Operator pattern enables a new way to automate infrastructure and application management tasks using Kubernetes as the automation engine.
- Cloud DevOps security provider Alcide introduced an updated to its Microservices Firewall last week. A news release states that the platform update empowers DevSecOps teams to continuously secure and protect their multi-cluster Kubernetes and Istio deployments while unifying different clusters into a single security incident stream.
- Our DevOps consulting team enjoyed this article from Forrester’s Margo Visitacion, in which she provides Answers To An Agile FAQ: People Over Process.
- Last, happy birthday to Redis which turned 10 last week. Redis is an open source in-memory data structure store, used as a database, cache and message broker with 10 complex types and a module system.
- Check out our new AWS case study on creating a solid foundation in AWS with a Flux7 AWS Landing Zone for a leading regional bank’s new customer-facing application. A central part of the bank’s consumer and commercial digital banking initiative, the new app was designed to take advantage of cloud computing strengths to provide a highly available digital banking experience to customers. However, to meet compliance and security objectives, the new app needed to be quickly deployed to a solid AWS foundation that incorporated operations best practices. Read here how the AWS experts at Flux7 achieved this goal along with a foundation that met its security requirements.
- What do factories have to do with DevOps? Read our latest blog on the role of factories in replacing the individual craftsmanship of our Operations and Development employees, replacing their time-consuming construction of individual cloud components with a factory that can quickly create precise and secure IT artifacts.
For ongoing AWS news, IT modernization analysis and stories of DevOps in action, subscribe to our blog today.